SC - Re: hand-grinding wheat and sturdy pastry crusts

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon May 15 18:38:42 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 15 May 00,, that Dana Huffman wrote:

> Here is the first chunk of Manual de Mugeres that I have
> translated.
[snip]
> "unto de gato": is there such a thing as "cat ointment", or
> are they really eating cat grease here? (#67)

De Nola has a recipe for roast cat which has been previously posted to
this list; I see no reason to believe that "unto de gato" is something
other than cat grease.

> Recipe for making "hordiate"

I usually translate that as barley-gruel.

>      To make a bowl [I think inquiry is being made into
> exactly what "escudilla" may have meant as a measurement?]

I have received a copy of an article which has line drawings with scale
measurements of 16th centruy escudillas.  As soon as I can, I will get
my lord to scan the pictures so I can web them.  And then I will see
who can estimate the volume of an irregular shape.

Thank you for undertaking this, m'lady (and the other good gentles).  I
know there are many who look forward to seeing the results of your
labors.

p.s.  If anyone else is looking for a project, there's an early 16th century
agricultural manual on the same website.  How to grow cabbages and
grapevines, how to keep sheep healthy, and what to feed the hens...
http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/servlet/SirveObras/305301330001954467
073469/

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)