SC - Re: hand-grinding wheat and sturdy pastry crusts

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon May 15 18:38:42 PDT 2000

Oh, I'm sure we'll be doing something along those lines, although Their
Perceptive Majesties of Artemisia <g> were at the event, and I took some
time to bring Them over to the appropriate tables and point things out.
Re: wheat grinding.  According to the documentation, she used a lava
millstone and grinding roller, and hand-ground the wheat.
Oh, and the recipe she used for her pastry castle, the walls and turrets
of which were around the thickness of your average graham cracker, and
both sturdy and edible, used a mix of flour, lard, butter, egg yolk, and
a bit of cheese.  She notes a source that talks about pastry being
hard/strong "because it was often made with little fat."  Perhaps that's
the key to making pastry less flaky.  Her finished product had a texture
quite similar to that of a cracker.
- --Maire