SC - Artemisia's new A&S Champion (longish)

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Tue May 16 00:28:37 PDT 2000

Elysant asked:
> This discussion makes me wonder how old the "roux" method actually is.  And
> what are the oldest methods we know of that were used for thickening sauces
> and gravies?
>
> Any thoughts?

An early gravy recipe, or one that looks to be gravy, was posted here a
little while back. I remember that it was quite a bit earlier than the
dates I had been hearing for gravies.
Check this file in the FOOD section of my files:
gravy-msg          (7K)  3/30/00    Period gravy. Renaissance, not medieval.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net