SC - Eggs graven with Vinegar

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Tue May 16 02:32:48 PDT 2000

Allison said:
> There were herb teas, Stefan, and onion skins.

Well yes, there were some herbal teas. See this file in the BEVERAGES
section of the Florilegium:
infusions-msg      (8K)  1/20/00    Period infusions. Herbal "teas".
Barley tea.

It's a small file, though. I'd love to have more information about
use/making of herbal teas in period.

The initial question was about chai (chinese tea) so that is what I
answered about.

I don't have any info on the use of dyeing eggs in period with either
herbal teas or onion skins.

> As to references to egg
> dying in period, I know there are some for dying Easter Eggs red,
> although without a collection of the Eastern European sources, I don't
> have them.

Yes, called pysanky eggs. Check this file in the CRAFTS section of the
Florilegium, although it is more on modern creation using modern paints.
I'd love to have more on the historic techniques and dyes.
pysanky-eggs-msg  (14K)  4/ 7/00    Painted and dyed eggs of eastern Europe.

> Since this was for the most important holiday in the church calendar,
> they may have been willing to spring for the imported red dyes, although
> there are references to the peasants taking theior eggs to mass for the
> blessing, and I doubt if the peasants, even thrifty ones, could come up
> with the cash for red dyes.

I'm not sure red would be that difficult. Red clays, perhaps?
There are these files in the TEXTILE ARTS section. I don't know how
making dyes compares to making paints, though:
dyeing-msg       (162K)  2/28/00    Dyeing techniques and discussion.
dye-list-art       (9K)  2/28/00    A list of period plant dyes by Moriel.

There is also this file in the CRAFTS section, though:
pigments-msg      (48K)  6/ 3/99    Period pigments. Modern sources. Safety.

Did the reference say the peasants were taking painted/colored/dyed eggs
to church to be blessed? They may have been simply using plain eggs while
the upper class was enjoying the colored/decorated eggs.

>  It does make a nice subtlety--can't wait to try doing some of the fancy
> things the MidRealm post suggests.  We don't know what colors a number of
> the herb teas would produce.  Maybe you could keep the posts, in the
> subtley file perhaps?

If there are enough, useful messages in any area or the subject is far
enough from anything already filed, I usually create a new file.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net