SC - Fooles and Fricassees

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed May 17 16:57:31 PDT 2000

It is an old German folk song. Roughly:

> Am Brunnen vor dem Tore, da steht ein Lindenbaum.
  Near the well before the door, stands a lime-tree

> Ich träumt' in seinem Schatten so manchen süßen Traum.
  I dreamt in its shadow many a sweet dream

> Ich schnitt in seine Rinde so manches liebe Wort.
  I cut into its bark many a dear word/beloved word/word of love

> Es zog in Freud' und Leide zu ihm mich immerfort.
  In good and bad days I was always torn back to this tree
  (the tree being a symbol for the "Heimat", the 'home')

My grandmother often sang this song, when she ... No. Back to the
"Recueil de Riom" with its recipes for "soppe jacopine", "broet de
savoie", ---

Thomas