SC - Translation of poem

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Thu May 18 10:17:06 PDT 2000

A GErman woman on my Jewish list just translated this for me.  Hope it helps.
Phillipa

<<<< Can anyone translate the following:

  Am Brunnen vor dem Tore, da steht ein Lindenbaum . Ich traumt' in seinem

 Schatten so manchen suben Traum. Ich schnitt in seine Rinde so manches liebe

 Wort. Es zog in Freud' und leide zu ihm mich immerfort.

 I found a pair of pewter cordial glasses on ebay and this is part of the

 design.  Just wondered what it meant.

  Mercedes >>

Dear Philipa this is an old german volks song. Every child had to
learn it in primer school.I haven't heard this song for such a long
time.

It means losely translated ( think of an old german village in the
early 1900 hundred)

By the well infront the  gate there is a lindentree

( in those days towns where walles in and the gate opened early in
the morning for the farmers to go to theire fileds etc) and closed
after sundown)

I dreamed in his shadow so many sweet dreams

I cut in his bark so many loving words

It pulled me back to him in happyness and sorrow.

  That is the first verse of the song. I hope it helps.

Love Inge