SC - Pennsic Advice needed

Aelfwyn@aol.com Aelfwyn at aol.com
Fri May 19 12:17:15 PDT 2000

On Fri, 19 May 2000 05:51:04 -0400 "Patrick Hood" <kelan at mindspring.com>
writes:

>Questions in no particular order.
>Who is a must meet?

Me.  Off-duty.  I'm a Chirurgeon--you don't want to meet me
professionally.  To avoid that, bring strong sun-screen.  Stay well
hydrated, drinking water, and half or quarter strength Gator Aid.
Pennsic is north of a lot of places, so Westerners and Australians think
the heat can't bother them.  Wrong.  It's usually a humid heat and will
sap the strength right out of you.  Bring extra socks to avoid
blisters--lots of walking, running in armor, etc.  Avoid excessive
alcohol intake, and take lots of water the next morning, eating oranges
and bananas to replace the potassium and give yourself Vitamin C--great
stuff for a hang-over.  Bring any personal medications, stored in plastic
bags, and a good first aid kit.  If you have meds that need
refrigeration, you can keep them at the Chirurgeon's Point frig.

>Would my fellow fighting cook types suggest I fight or take advantage
>of all>the classes?

I like to do the battles, so I go to and teach classes early, then
Chirurgeon the last Wed-Sat.  Gets the best of both fighting events and
classes.  Read your Pennsic info book before you go back
home--co-ordinate your fighting/classes schedule.

>Who are the best merchants and classes?

Poison Pen Press, in the big bazaar by the circle downhill from the barn
has the biggest selection of cookbooks.  Go to Devra's web site and
decide on the must-have books.  Bring a box of extra-large ziplock bags
to keep books dry from Pennsic storms.  Put several changes of clean
clothes in those bags, too.
You have to go around all the merchants--you'll find things you never
dreamed of!
The last Wednesay isshopping Midnight Madness--reduced prices on lots of
goods, but if there is a limited supply of what you really want, it may
be gone before then.

>How can i finaly meet some of the great SCA cook list types?  Will you
>be>wearing your cuksoles/ flaming lizards?

We don't actually have any.  Go to classes, and to camps we've posted
locations for.

>What do you wish someone had told you before your first Pensic?

My first was Pennsic X.  Hard to remember...
Here's a tip that everybody can benefit from: Brangwayna buys the glow
sticks, and puts one in a porta-potty by our camp every night.  Her
special kindness makes those late night potty trips soooo much nicer!
Bring an extra roll of T.P.  They are good at re-stocking, but you may be
camped in a particularly busy area.
Take the hay-wagon ride and the parking shuttle bus ride as early as
possible, Pennsic booklet in hand, just for sight-seeing and generally
getting an overview of the place--we are huge, now.
Most people are wonderfully friendly--just call out "Hello, the camp" and
go talk to anybody about the camp or where they are from, or whatever...
Don't have open flame--candle, whatever-in your tent.  Don't leave
untended campfires or candles or lanterns burning at night when you are
out.

>Nyckademus
Brangwayna and I camp with Clan Kyle, probably this year in NE 1, near
the classes tents.  Come meet us!

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com