SC - autnenticity

Serian serian at uswest.net
Sun May 21 00:29:41 PDT 2000

John le Burguillun asked:
> After digging around on a few lists, I've identified the following
> potential candidates.  Any comments the list may have on any of these
> would be appreciated {I couldn't find any comments in the Florilegium}:

It sounds like you looked in the FOOD-BOOKS section. Another place to
look for reviews when you know the region is to look in the FOOD-BY-REGION
section.  But yes, I don't remember seeing comments on some of these before.

> 2)  Dembinska, Maria.  "Food and Drink in Medieval Poland:
> Rediscovering a Cuisine of the Past," $20.97, ISBN No. 0812232240.
> Looked interesting, not too expensive, an area of Europe I don't have
> any information on currently.  Is this based on period documentation or
> just on "traditional" folk recipes?

Check this file in the FOOD-BY-REGION section. I know there are one or
two reviews in this file:
fd-Poland-msg      (7K)  9/ 9/99    Food of period Poland. Referances.

> 3)  Baber, Phillus Pray.  "Art, Culture and Cuisine:  Ancient and
> Medieval Gastronomy," $50.00, ISBN No. 0226062538.   Somewhat pricey,
> don't know how much of it is foodstuffs versus pretty pictures versus
> culture, got great on-line reviews {for what little that's worth!}.
>
> 4)  Wright, Clifford.  "A Mediterranean Feast:  The Story of the Birth
> of the Celebrated Cuisines of the Mediterranean from the Merchants of
> Venice to the Barbary Corsairs, with more than 500 recipes."  $24.50,

>  I've developed an interest in this
> region {Platina, Santich, etc.} and this book appeals to me, but this is
> a pretty rough review to overcome.

Unless you already have the Platina book(s), you might be interested in
some of the books mentioned in this file:
cb-rv-Apicius-msg (37K)  4/20/00    Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.
cb-rv-Platina-msg (16K)  4/11/00    Reviews of cookbooks having Platina recipes.

I will add any reviews given here to the files for future such inquiries.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net