SC - RE:SC- Brizzare Hobby-NOT! OT

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun May 21 14:50:24 PDT 2000

Clotild commented:
> I had labeled all the foods and I think everyone was pretty aware that
> the Sin was OOP.  And I had other period desserts available
> (gingerbrede, and fresh strawberries with creme bastarde).

What is this "creme bastarde"? recipe or directions to make it?

>  And I had
> sets of documentation on the tables with the redacted recipes for all
> the dishes except the Sin.

I've taken to making period dishes for the company and family pot lucks
that I'm invited to. And I usually print up a sheet of paper giving
the recipe and redaction.

At our two family Mother's Day get-togethers, I made Custarde, Peeres in
Confyt and Patina de Persicis (Peach custard), all of which can be found
in my desserts-msg file. I made three different desserts since I had
never made these three before and wasn't sure how they would come out.
They all went over quite well and I had to be careful that there was
enough left from the first party to serve for the second.

The pears went over well, but in hindsight, I'll try to find a different
wine. The redaction used two wines, Burgundy and Sauterne. I had to search
at the grocery to find any Burgundy. There were lots of Merlots, chordeneyes,
rose wines but very little Burgundy and no Sauterne. I considered going
to a Liquor store but I saw a series of wines with "dry", "dessert" labels.
Since I understood this "Sauterne" to be a sweet, dessert wine I bought
the wine labeled "dessert". I found out when making it that this must
have been a fortified wine as it was brownish in color. I guess that it
being over in the section with the ports and sherries should have been
a tip-off. I didn't get red pears in a yellow-white sauce as mentioned
in the message. I got red pears in a dark red sauce. Next time I will
find some of this "Sauterne" or something else close to "Greek wine"
and the "sweet Italian white wine" mentioned in the recipe translation.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net