SC - authenticity

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun May 21 20:26:02 PDT 2000

> Someone just asked me what Queen's Pudding is.  I couldn't find any
recipes
> for it in any of my books.  I know it is a British dish.  Can anyone tell
me
> what's in it or give a recipe?
> Thanks!
> Phillipa

I think what they they are referring is the
Queen's Custard from 18th century Bath.
Very well known and popular.

Single cream 4.5dl (1 7/8 cups)
4 egg yolks
Castor sugar  30g ( 2 tablespoons)
Cointreau or Maraschino  licquor  15ml (1 tablespoon)
Double cream 1.5dl (5/8 cup)
Glace' cherries (Red or green? didn't say)

Bring the single cream almost to a boil.
Meanwhile, beat the yolks with the sugar
in a bowl.  Pour the cream in a slow stream
onto the eggs, stirring gently.  Stand the
bowl in a sucepan of simmering water and
stir constantly until the custard thickens.
Cool for 30 minutes.  Stir in the Cointreau
or Maraschino and pour into 4 little glass
custard cups or small souffle' dishes and
chill for at least an hour.  Whip the double
cream (without sugar? How un-American!)
and pile it high on each custard cup and top
with a cherry.

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"