SC - Ice

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon May 22 20:40:41 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/22/00 3:51:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time, LadyPDC at aol.com
writes:

>  Also, after straining the final cooked mixture, I beat the whole
>  mixture 200 strokes before refrigerating and 100 strokes after an hour of
>  refrigeration.

One quick question:  Does anyone on the list have any references to how
medieval cooks kept things cold, since the invention of the refrigerator was
not to come about for many, many, many years?  I have read a few Middle
Eastern pieces which refer to the making of sherbets using ice from Mount
Etna, but doubt this method would have been used on a regular basis in
Europe.  Just curious as to how this A&S entry could have been made more
period..

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Complacency Breeds Contempt