SC - Ice

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon May 22 20:40:41 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/22/00 11:20:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< One quick question:  Does anyone on the list have any references to how
 medieval cooks kept things cold, since the invention of the refrigerator was
 not to come about for many, many, many years?   >>

Although I don't have the references immediately handy, ice houses were
common throughout the middle east during period. They were also common
throughout the Western world until the invention of refrigeration. Ice blocks
are simply cut out of lakes and ponds in the winter and stored in ice houses
in saw dust, etc., throughout the year. Such blocks literally keep for months
before melting. I think that Food in History or The History of Food has a
segment dealing with this subject. Any large manor house would have had its
ice house and commercial ice houses also existed.

Ras