SC - biscuits oop

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue May 23 11:25:45 PDT 2000

OK, I'm mostly back together from Aethelmearc War Practice.  Here's the
last experiment.

Using the Pane Francese Naturale recipe from The Village Baker (p. 147),

1 c. starter
3/4 c. flour

Mix these to a dough ball and let it sit 13 hrs.  Then pulled the starter
apart--small bits--and added 1/2 c. flour.  Toss this to coat the bits
then add 1/2 c. warm water.  Now mix this smooth, much easier said than
done.  Lots of smooshing involved.  Gradually add 1 c. flour, knead until
smooth and let rise.

Six hours later, again chop the starter into bits and add 3/4 c. warm
water and 2 tsp. salt.  Mix smooth, again much smooshing involved.  Add 1
1/2 c. flour in stages. Then knead in (approx.) 1/2 c. flour until you
get a smooth dough.  Let rise 10 hrs.  Punched it down and shaped it into
2 dozen small rolls.  Let rise 5 1/2 hrs.  Baked at 450 F, 15 minutes.

We munched these at (now) Baron Master Tofi's party.  Two out of three
Aethelmearc brewing laurels approved.  The third wasn't there--his tough
luck.  I'll be making wussy sourdough for the brewing slam at Pennsic
now.

Morgana