SC - What Would Have Been Your Job in Medieval Times?

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Fri May 26 23:51:10 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/26/2000 4:45:35 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< I'll be sure to check out these files after work tomorrow night.  One
 question, though:  does anyone know where to get oak gall?  This is the
 second mention of it for me, and I don't know a) what it is, and b) where to
 get it.  Help? >>

Try someplace that has materials for natural dyeing.  Tannin from oak galls
and iron not only make a nice ink they make a spiffy fabric (and vegetable
tanned leather) dye.  You also may be able to get iron salt at there, which
is better for fabric dying and ink because it is less corrosive than the
other methods of getting the iron in solution.

Noemi
who has never actually made ink before but knows the principle from dying
leather. . .