SC - Oak Gall source

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon May 29 17:52:31 PDT 2000

    Dearest Phillipa,

>Today I was moved to make Almond Milk Flan from my new cookbook.  It came
out tasting wonderful but there were some problems:

>It thickened but it didn't set up. <

    Did you keep the milk & flour mixture at a low simmer (stirring all the
while) until the mixture was very thick?  There seems to be enough rice
flour to milk ratio,  so maybe had you let it cook a while longer it may
have set up better.

>When I used a *pinch* of saffron, the custard did not change color.  I
added  more (too much probably) and it came out a nice yellow-y color.  So
how much saffron is too much?

    When you taste the mixture and say:  "EEeeeewwww!  Too much saffron!"
actually,  a nice yellow color is the right amount.

.