SC - Almond Milk flan from Scully

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Mon May 29 17:11:51 PDT 2000

About a month ago, Gwynydd wrote:
>Having had such success with the Noumbles, I have been emboldened and would
>like to try out other dishes of organ meats on my Lady.  She tells me that
>she has never had heart and would like to try it.  No recipes for tripe or
>brains please!  As well, I don't have an oven so please bear this in mind.
>I am looking for period recipes.

 From the Miscellany:

Corat
Curye on Inglysch p. 100 (Forme of Cury no. 14)

Take the noumbles of calf, swyne, or of shepe; perboile hem and kerue
hem to dyce. Cast hem in gode broth and do therto erbes, grene
chybolles smale yhewe; seeth it tendre, and lye with yolkes of eyren.
Do therto verious, safroun, powdour douce and salt, and serue it
forth. [end of original; thorns replaced by th]

1 lb calf heart
1 10 oz can conc. beef broth + 1 can water
"herbs": 	4 oz spinach
	4 oz turnip greens
6 oz scallions
8 egg yolks
1/4 c verjuice
12 threads saffron
"powder douce":	2 t sugar, 2 t cinnamon, 1/2 t ginger
1 t salt

Parboil heart in 4 c water: bring water to boil, add heart, bring
back to boil, total time about 4 minutes. Drain. Cut heart in 1/2"-1"
cubes. Put with broth and chopped washed greens, simmer about 20
minutes. Stir in beaten egg yolks, turn off heat. Add verjuice,
saffron (crushed into water), spices, salt, and serve it forth.

Numbles means innards. We suspect the title of the recipe is derived
from the French word for "heart" and therefore use heart, but it is
also good made with kidney.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook