SC - Constance de LaRose's A&S entry

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Wed May 31 19:38:06 PDT 2000

Here's a recipe, if anyone would like to try it:

Source: Ruperto de Nola, _Libro de Guisados_ (Spanish, 1529)

Translation: Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)

<FontFamily><param>Times New Roman</param>POTAJE QUE SE DICE HIGATE PORQUE SE HACE DE HIGOS - Pottage
which is called Higate because it is made from figs

	Take white or black figs and put them in cold water, or tepid which would
be better, and with this water wash the figs very well; and remove the stems,
and when they are very clean and washed set them to gently fry with good,
very fatty bacon; and when they have gently fried for a while, take good
chicken broth or mutton broth: and cast it in little by little, in such a manner
that it can cook for an hour and a half; and while it cooks, cast all these spices
upon it in the pot, which should be well ground, sugar, ginger, cinnamon and
pepper and other good spices; and if the pottage is of black figs, cast in a little
saffron, so that it has a yellow color; and when it is half cooked, stir it with a
haravillo, like someone stirring gourds, in such a manner that it will be thick;
and do not remove your hand from them until they are well thickened, binding
it together with the saltiness and the sourness and the sweetness, and when it
removed from the fire, let it rest a little while, and prepare dishes, and cast
sugar and cinnamon upon them.

notes: The recipe does not specify if the figs should be fresh or dried, but I
don't see why either wouldn't work.  A haravillo is some kind of kitchen
implement used for stirring or beating.  Recipes for cooked gourds call for
them to be stirred with a haravillo until there is not a single lump.  "Gently fry"
is my translation of "sofreir", a Spanish cooking technique which calls for
long, slow frying over a low fire; it is the opposite of saute.

So... any takers?  We're leaving for Boston this Saturday, so I probably won't
see  results until I return.

<nofill>
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)