SC - Balthazar's trunk

CBlackwill@aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Wed May 31 23:12:00 PDT 2000

LarsEllen de MacAvoy Morgan asked:
> Okay, I'm not on this list, actually, but I have a friend who is cooking her
> first feast and wants to know if unflavored gelatin or pectin are considered
> period for several receipes she wants to try. Any comment is appreciated; I
> will pass on to her.

Possibly, although I would encourage her to use the materials that would
be in or be created in the food she was cooking. If she is cooking from
period recipes, they would have the same problem. If they didn't have to
add additional sources of gelatin, she shouldn't have to. They couldn't
just buy a packet and pour it in.

For a number of comments on aspics and other gelatinized foods, she might
want to take a look at this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium
files:
aspic-msg         (30K)  6/22/99    Notes on aspic, a meat-base gelatin.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net