SC - oop-greek dessert recipe-amygdalopita

margali margali at 99main.com
Sat May 6 06:03:51 PDT 2000

Hi, all
I have been playing with the recipe for an almond cake recipe I had at a
greek orthodox dinner and have finally figured out the recipe.

Amygdalopita
14 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 pound almond flour[thanks kingarthurflour.com  !]
2 1/2 cup farina/cream of wheat
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon fiore di sicilia [also kingarthurflour.com]

Beat eggs, add sugar with egg beater. Add baking powder and vanilla. .
Add a little almond flour at a time to other mixture. Grease a 14 inch,
2 inch deep pan. Pour mixture into pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25
minutes. In the  meantime, prepare the syrup.

I tried a sugar syrup and a honey syrup, and the sugar one is the one I
had originally-and I like it better.

3 cups sugar
3 cups water
juice of 1 lemon with the peel as well
about 1/8 tsp cinnamon-the real vietnamese kind, not cassia

 Boil until mixture slightly thickens.

 When cake is done, remove from oven and cut into diamond shapes. Pour
syrup over it and let soak until cool.

nutritional info-Not a clue, but it probably has 10 zillion calories in
a piece ;-)

margali