SC - Serving question

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue May 9 06:58:15 PDT 2000

I agree that this is one of the most vexing questions around.  What we typically
do here in Atlantia is, for most feasts, call for one person from each table to
come to the serving area and pick up the dishes for each course.  This usually
works pretty well as folks at a table will tend to share this task, thus making
it so that different people serve different courses.

If the feast is a "fancier" one, say for a Coronation or Twelfth Night,  we use
servers, and the number is based on however many tables we have...usually two or
three tables per server.  These folks get fed in the kitchen as they complete
serving each course.

In any event, we also often do not have enough serving equipment to handle an
entire feast without reusing dishes.  Usually one or two of the kitchen staff
will circulate through the hall near the end of a course and retrieve as many
dishes as possible.  We make sure that we have a crew in the kitchen to wash
dishes between courses (and we feed them as well).  In this manner, we can
usually manage to serve feasts without too much difficulty!

Kiri