SC - Serving question

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue May 9 07:20:57 PDT 2000

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> tIf you have a "99 Cents Only Store" in your area, they
> are the best place to start a good store of serving
> vessels.

These sources are great.  We have found a number of good buys at our "Dollar
Store", along with another called "Big Lots".    It's also a good idea to check
flea markets.  Often a merchant will come into a fairly large quantity of
dishes.  Finally, here in northern Atlantia, there is the Williamsburg Pottery
Factory.  This is an excellent source for cheap serving ware.  Just be careful
with glass...it can get VERY heavy when carting it around for feasts!

> While the thought of spending $60+ per serving
> dish/tray sounds like a lot when you are thinking of
> having to purchase everything at once, I usually only
> buy one set per feast, so the cost is extended over a
> long period of time.

What we have tried to do in our Barony is to spend a little bit of the profits,
if any, from each event purchasing cooking and/or serving gear.  It's taken
several years, but we now have a large enough collection that we can serve most
smaller feasts without having to wash dishes in between!

> The
> hardest part are tablecloths.  I usually have to make
> my own.

In Atlantia, people bring their own eating gear/candles/tablecloths to feasts.
The only table cloths we furnish are the ones for high table, and perhaps a
dessert or serving table.

> Huette

Kiri