SC - Anyone have any good "period"picnic items recipes?

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Thu May 11 21:10:44 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/11/00 3:57:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
serian at uswest.net writes:

>  The OOP item, because I know someone will ask, are galettes.
>  2 c flour
>  2 eggs
>  1 stick butter
>  2T Milk
>  2-4T sugar
>  Oven 425
>
>  combine into a dough, either press into a round pan, a
>  roundish mass on a stone, or break into 8 individual
>  servings.  Travels well, tastes good.  That's one thing I
>  don't care if it's period or not because I and friends love
>  them.

Actually, this is by no means out of period.  Galette is the basis for the
traditional Twelfth Night Cake (though now it is normally made with puff
pastry), and these flat, round cakes have been around (under one name or
another) for centuries.  Many scholars believe they date back, in one form or
another, to the Neolithic era.  I don't think anyone on the list, or even in
the SCA as a whole, will question the appropriateness of what, for all
intents and purposes, is a Medieval "Hearth Cake".

Balthazar of Blackmoor
(who is willing to bet we could find any number of similar recipes in "the
corpus")

Complacency Breeds Contempt