SC - galettes and biscotti & wafers was picnic food

Serian serian at uswest.net
Thu May 11 22:32:57 PDT 2000

Oh, well, I wasn't sure because of the use of so much butter
and milk.  I got the original from a book of old French
recipes, but no documentation as to how old.  I did have to
redact it though, come to it.  Things like "a hot oven" and
all, and some vague proportions.  I am trying to research a
number of foods that I'm pretty sure are period or nearly
so, but it can be a challenge.

Biscotti, for example, at least in my very limited
experience of medieval cookery, and my only 2 books, I
haven't yet found a recipe, but if I put them into
competition with almost no documentation, I would surely
lose points.  Now, with the prevalence of almonds, the way
they're made, and how well they keep, it seems very likely
to me they would be period.

I had fun at an A&S competition recently with recipe
comparisons.  I made several things, including Hyppocras and
wafers.  Wafers are often like the waffle cookies we see
today.  Well, I made 1 from menagier, which had cheese,
wine, flour, eggs.  I made, not as part of the competition,
but for interest, my family recipe (all right, after I get
back from coronation I'll dig up the recipe and post it).
My family recipe has eggs, butter, sugar, flour, anise or
almond.  people seemed quite interested in the idea of foods
changing over time.

(I could not win a prize since it was out of my barony and
they only make people from their barony champions in each
area and overall).

Serian