SC - A New Challenge! help with Spanish medieval food, please

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu May 11 23:01:00 PDT 2000

Brighid ni Chiarain suggested to Dana Huffman/Ximena la Letrada:

> Hmmmm... may I offer you a suggestion for a project, then?  As I said in
> an earlier post, the _Manual de Mugeres_ contains 29 recipes for foods and
> confections.  Most of them are reasonably short, and written in 16th
> century Spanish without too many spelling and vocabulary oddities.  It is
> available online, so you wouldn't have to go to any trouble to locate it.
> http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/servlet/SirveObras/336388722157844177247451/
>
> If you would care to translate some (or all) of these 29 recipes, the
> collection could then be be placed on the web (perhaps in the
> Florilegium?) and be made available to everyone.  I have considered
> undertaking the project, but I'm trying to get my translation of de Nola
> done, and shouldn't go off on a tangent.  However, I'd be glad to give you
> a hand with any cooking terminology that you weren't sure of.

I would be interested in this. I would prefer to have both the original
and the translation in one place, if possible. Even better would be to
make this an ongoing project. As you improve your translation skills or
learn new things that impact your translations, send me the updates and
I will update the web version. Another improvement would be to add yours
(or others) redactions of the recipes.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net