SC - blood from slaughter houses (was OT Vegetarian Vampires (was Absinthe))

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 12 19:04:20 PDT 2000

Michael Newton wrote:

> Actually, it has nothing to do with hairs, but rather with diseases and
> infections. The U.S.D.A. regs. allow slaughter house to collect blood for
> food purposes; however, each blood amount collected must be tagged and kept
> separate until the rest of the carcass has passed inspection, in case of
> abscesses, TB, anthrax, etc. Most large medium / high speed processing
> plants find it cheaper labor-wise just to toss the stuff.
> Beatrix of Tanet

Hmmm. The thing is, what they're doing is switching from pork blood to
veal blood, not eliminating blood. The criterion for this particular
choice would seem to be about what makes one type/species of blood
preferable to another. Disease may be an issue, but it may be something
to do with hair anyway. Or maybe calves are slaughtered and processed at
smaller, less mechanized plants than hogs?

Anyway, I was just reporting what Sokolov had said.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com