SC - finally! A baking success! and re: honey butter

Patrick Hood kelan at mindspring.com
Fri May 19 02:34:31 PDT 2000

> Does anyone know how to make honey butter.  I am assuming that it is just
> honey mixed with butter, but I am not sure.  Thank you in advance for any
> help.
>
> Traci

Seems to simple to be right dosen't it?  Kind of like cinnamon iced tea.
You can also cheat butter by whipping it with margerine so it will actually
spread on bread.  (Something i rate as a form of heresy, but to each his
own.)  I like to do a rough molding of real butter and then shape it with a
clay carving tool once its stiffened in the frig.  Fish with olive slice
eyes and carved scales for example.  I don't know if its documentably period
but i would have to think some body played with something so easy to sculpt.
Candle kits also allow for some neat displays.  Press the butter into your
mold and then you can slice of your stars, circles or whatever.  Also try
five spice or cinnamon butter.  For quick and easy serving we have used
icecream scoops to make three balls per table plain, honey and cinnamon.

I'm going to have to bake bread tomorrow.  There is nothing like real whole
wheat and honey butter.  If you want bread that dosen't need butter try the
flieshmans yeast bread recipe but add a finely diced green pepper and some
italian seasoning mix after the second rise.  Scoop out balls with a
icecream scoop and bake until slightly golden brown.  They are to die for
with a little cheese and summer sausage on the side.  This is the first
bread I have realy been proud of.

I am just not a bread baker.  Now that I have a pizza stone and two cubes of
brick for my outside stove i am a realy well prepared nonbread baker.
Seriously does yeast just not like some people?  Is bread like gardening?
I don't think I'm the only one who can't get a ball of dough to do anything
but mock my wishes for it to rise.  I have taught foods in high school for
three years now and each year I teach over a hundred kids to make perfect
yeast bread.  How can my students get perfect results and my dough resemble
the density one would look for in oak furniture?

Nyckademus (Who enjoys saying, "Your dough, like the South, will rise
again.")