SC - Custard and Corned Silverside

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun May 21 10:13:18 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 22 May 00,, that Lee-Gwen Booth wrote:

> Unto the Gathered Cooks does Lady Gwynydd of Culloden send Greetings:
>
> Following the Tavern Event, my Lady asked me if custard - specifically
> thickened with flour - was period;  I couldn't give her an answer.

There are sweet milk dishes thickened with *rice* flour, but I don't know
about wheat flour.  The 16th century English custards have cream,
sugar, and spices, but no thickeners other than eggs.

> Oh, the another dish which was served at this event was corned silverside
> - is this period, and if so, how was it cooked?

What is "corned silverside"?  Animal, vegetable, or mineral?

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net