SC - Quinces (and a query about an eating utensil)

Wanda Pease wandapease at bigfoot.com
Sat May 6 19:04:43 PDT 2000

	I have a book: _The Gold, Silver and Other Non-Ferrous Alloy Objects from
Hamwic: The Southampton Finds Volume Two_ by David A. Hinton ISBN:
0-7509-1167-0.  On page 57 it shows several spoon/forks.  They are pointy
spoon bowls (rather like a grapefruit spoon) with a two tine fork on the
other end.  These are definitely not forks for holding something down while
carving it.  They remind me a bit of a fork for getting pickles or olives
out of the bottle.
The introduction to the monograph states that most of the finds date from
between 700-850 CE.
	It also states that:  "A silver 'spoon ' and 'fork' combination, and a
silver double spoon were in the Sevington hoard, with coins of c. 850
(Wilson 1964, nos 67 and 68)."