SC - Milk OOP - was Pennsic Milk

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Tue May 2 20:21:34 PDT 2000

In a message dated 04/30/2000 11:02:19 AM EST, alysk at ix.netcom.com writes:

> Etain wrote:

> >or....when it was VERY cold..and you opened the "milk box" to find the
little
> >foil cap sitting on a column of frozen cream rising from the top of the
jug?
> >(and your mom let you "cut your milk" into your tea that morning?)

> Back in my childhood days (early 40s) the cap was cardboard, not foil.
Eating
> the cream right out of the bottle was a rare and wonderous treat!
Homogenized
> milk just can't do that!

> Alys Katharine

When I was growing up we used to have, every day at school, 1/3 pint of milk
at 10:45am.  The milk was delivered in little 1/3 pint bottles with aluminium
caps, and stored outside until it was "milk time".  I can remember that the
milk was ice cold in the winter and that sometimes the cream had frozen solid
- - drinking the icy creamy milk like that was a delicious treat.

Also, unless something was put over the bottles to cover the tops, especially
in the winter, the wild birds would come and peck the aluminium tops off the
milk bottles and drink the cream before we could even get the crate inside
for the class....

My mother still gets milk in bottles delivered to her doorstep, and the
delivery girl has to remember to cover the tops of the milk bottles she
leaves so that again the birds don't peck the caps off (we use usually old
eggcups and plastic tops of things).

I also notice these days that cream layer is not visible at the top of the
milk like it used to be.  Jersey milk was always the most spectacular.   The
cream at the top of those bottles was a butter yellow colour and thicker than
usual.  I don't know if Jersey milk is available here is it?

The richness of Pennsic chocolate milk reminds me of it somehow....

Elysant