SC - Grains of Paradise

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Nov 1 09:42:22 PST 2000

> I am in the process of webbing another of Lady Constance de LaRose's
> recipes - this time for an Apricot and Cardamom Cordial (which sounds
> delightful).  In this article, she says that cardamom is the same as grains
> of paradise.  I am not sure this is true and would appreciate the comments
> of the Gathered Cooks.

No, Grains of Paradise are not the same as Cardamom.  (There could be some
doubt before the voyage of Henry the Navigator, but after 1500, the grains
of paradise would have been imported directly by sea from West Africa, and
there would be no doubt-- unless you visited a crooked grocer/apothecary--
whether you were getting cardamom or grains of paradise.) I think that the
late 19th century and early 20th century spice industry may have used the
terms as interchangeable, but that's not period.
Grains of Paradise is Aframomum melegueta and is native to the Guinea
coast of Africa.
Cardamom is Elettaria cardamomum and it is native to India.
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker