SC - Barley malt syrup?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Nov 1 09:49:31 PST 2000

Lee-Gwen wrote:

> I am in the process of webbing another of Lady Constance de LaRose's
> recipes - this time for an Apricot and Cardamom Cordial (which sounds
> delightful).  In this article, she says that cardamom is the same as grains
> of paradise.  I am not sure this is true and would appreciate the comments
> of the Gathered Cooks.

Afrimomum melegueta or Cardamomum melegueta, a.k.a. Grains of Paradise,
are a member of the overall cardamom family (presumably, actually the
cardamom genus). However, the white, green, or black cardamom pods used
in Scandinavian, Indian, and other cookery are not grains of paradise.
They are not really interchangable under most circumstances.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com