SC - Ras al Hanout

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Fri Nov 3 17:00:24 PST 2000

Jenne Heise wrote:

> Ginger drink made from a recipe for Ginger Ale syrup in _The Pantry
> Gourmet_... I know they had ginger drinks, I find references in tertiary
> sources but no recipe! Also it uses Lime juice and I can't tell, I thought
> Limes were not period.

Let me help.  ;>  (Besides I'm showing it tomorrow...)

Digby,p 79

    To small Meath, that is to be drunk presently, you may put a little ginger
to give it life, and work it with a little barm.  If the Meath work not at all,
it will nevertheless be good; and peradventure better than that which worketh;
but it will be longer first and the dregs will fall down to the bottom, though
it work not.
    Small Meath of eight or nine parts of water to honey, will be very good,
though it never work, but be barrelled up as soon as it be cold, and stopped
close: and after two or three months drunk from the barrel without botteling.
This is good for Meals.

Honey, water, ginger. What more can you ask out of life?  I'm going to pick up
oak chips next time I'm at the brew store to try the second version.

My actual ginger ale recipe calls for a mix of sugar and honey, ginger, and
lemons, but this is _quite_ nummy.

Feel better?  ;>
- -Magdalena