SC - Okay, that was the shortest event I've been to!/long

margali margali at 99main.com
Sun Nov 12 13:28:03 PST 2000

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> Slashing permits greater oven spring (such as cutting a manchet around the
> middle allows the center to expand)

Laird Muirghen served his Eastern European feast at our home to members of our
Barony yesterday (we had to cancel the event because we had a very tiny number
of paid reservations and were in danger of not being able to even pay the hall
fee!).  The general reaction from everyone, including me, was that the rest of
the Kingdom really missed a treat.  He did an outstanding job of preparing a
feast for which very little in the way of period sources exist.

Yes, the feast was more periodoid than period, but he had done a whale of a lot
of work in an effort to document what he could.  And, most importantly,
everything was very good!

Regarding the trenchers, he did bring them along, and they looked and felt a lot
like large brown hockey pucks.  I suspect it would have been difficult even to
cut them in half to form a bowl!  I wonder if what Bear is suggesting above
(slashing around the middle to allow them to expand as they bake) might have
made them more useable (notice I didn't say edible!).  However, we did feed them
to the poor upon completion of the meal (our dogs...who thought they were fancy
dog biscuits!).

Congratulations, Muirghen, on a job well done...and a real learning experience
for all concerned.

Kiri