SC - Trenchers Oh my!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Nov 13 21:26:06 PST 2000

Anahita al-shazhiyya said:
> My feast is mostly authentic, mostly Medieval English, although i
> will have hot spiced cider out on the sideboard - it'll be chilly
> here (40's or 30's) and the hall is unheated - or does anyone have a
> recommendation for a more authentic hot non-alcoholic beverage? Also,
> i'm open to suggestions for winter type foods/recipes/sources.

Check these files in the BEVERAGES section of my Florilegium:
beverages-NA-msg  (80K)  9/ 2/99    Non-alcoholic beverages.
jalabs-msg        (48K) 12/ 2/99    Drinks with a sugar or honey-syrup
base such
                                       as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint Drink).
 (I believe these can be served hot or cold and I think I've heard from
some folks who prefer Sekanjabin hot)
wassail-msg       (15K) 12/17/99    Spiced cider and ale drinks. Traditions.
  (These are mostly ale drinks but cider is mentioned although I don;t
think I have a period recipe that says to serve it warm. However I think
some of these, could be a good starting point)

> Also, any helpful hints to a first time Kitchen Steward? It'll be
> especially hectic for me as i leave for Morocco two days after the
> feast.

See the headcook-msg file and others on planning and serving feasts
in the FEASTS section of my files.

Your menu looks good. I don't see any reason you need to plan to
flee to Morocco. We are seldom that hard on our feast cooks. And
there is still a chance that George Bush won't win, so again I
think fleeing is a little hasty. :-)

> Rice cooked in Chicken Broth

Maybe some of the recipes in this file might be of interest:
rice-msg          (44K)  3/31/00    Period rice. Recipes.

> Frumenty

Ah, I was thinking of suggesting this when I saw the rice above.
You might want to take a look at this file:
frumenty-msg      (48K)  4/ 7/99    A period cooked grain dish, often barley.
  (I think there is some information on cooking frumenty for large
groups in this file, so that you niether end up with uncooked grain
nor a gloppy, gooey mess.)

> Sallat

Do you have one in mind? I like the wide different choice of plants
and herbs in the period salad recipes and not having just that
(non-period) Iceburg lettuce. See the salads-msg file for more details
and recipes:

> Rice Pudding? Almond Milk Custard? White Cheese Tart?

See:
puddings-msg      (58K)  1/ 7/00    Medieval puddings. Recipes. Custards.
desserts-msg      (78K)  1/11/00    Medieval and SCA dessert recipes. Sweets.
shortbread-msg    (31K)  9/11/00    Period shortbread. Recipes and directions.
cookies-msg       (84K) 11/ 8/00    Period cookies. Recipes.
- --
THL  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net