SC - Trenchers Oh my!y

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Nov 14 15:55:51 PST 2000

- --- Anne-Marie Rousseau <acrouss at gte.net> wrote:
> on the subject of hot non-alcoholic beverages, we've had
> some success with
> making fake hipocras. Non-alcoholic wine is prohibitively
> expensive
> oftentimes, so you can cheat and use grape juice if you
> have to. Make it
> fairly dilute, and add a bit of lemon to try and sour it
> up a bit (grapes
> for juice are WAY sweeter than grapes for most wines I
> find).
> --AM

Suppliers of wine-making supplies have some stuff called
"acid blend" that I have used with fair success to cut the
sweetness of previously concentrated grape juice (I'm told
it's the concentrating that makes it sweet).  Although,
I've found it works best with juice that has some
un-concentrated/reconstituted juice included.  I use this
in a spiced white grape juice I make, that some like hot
although I don't.

These suppliers also usually carry concentrated grape juice
that you can reconstitute yourself, cheaper than the
average grocery store bottles of juice.  I think you get
about ten gallons from a (large) can of the stuff.  I only
tried this once and didn't get anything drinkable, but I
was still fiddling with the spices, too, so it may not have
been the juice's fault.

Just in case it's of interest.
Dana/Ximena