SC - Sad News :-( -Important-OP-OT-Long

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Mon Nov 20 14:48:03 PST 2000

- --part1_b9.8c4948c.274afcbc_boundary

In a message dated 11/19/00 8:25:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

> I'm not exactly sure what "headcheese" is, although I've heard the term

It is more or less a gelatinous mass with chunks of meat throughout that is
sliced and served much as luncheon meat is.  It is basically made by boiling
a pig's head with brains and tongue and all until it falls apart. You remove
the tasty bits, discard the bones and let the whole mass cool to a gelatin
under a weight. Depending on which PA Dutch group your background includes it
may or may not also contain vinegar. Our branch calls the vinegar abomination
'souse'. :-).

For more information, check in Stefan's files. This was discussed extensively
on this list a while back.

Anyone desiring a recipe please contact me privately and I will post it ASAP.

Ras

- --part1_b9.8c4948c.274afcbc_boundary