SC - Kitchen Authorization

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Wed Nov 29 08:27:31 PST 2000

Sent to me by Lord Padraig o Connell, a chiurgeon as well as the
tabulator of that peerage survey.  His fellow-chiurgeon's lament may
have merit.  What about an "authorization" process for kitchen helpers?

Selene

- -=-=-=-=-=-=-

Found a page of EMT observations.   While looking at the gent's website,

found out he's also a SCAian and Chirurgeon in the East.    I thought
his
comments on being a Chirurgeon were amusing....

(URL at: http://emt_hawk_34.tripod.com/jim/sca.html )

        I like being a chirurgeon, because it gives me something to do
at big
events. I hate going to most big events (besides Pennsic, or Kingdom's
Crusade), such as 12th Night, or Universities, because you get to see
the
folks you don't normally get to see briefly, not for any duration. As a
chirurgeon, I get to go someplace, and do something (and they thank you
for
it when you're done). The biggest source of SCA injuries, for example,
is
in the kitchen, of all places. Turns out that authorizing fighters
reduces
injuries, because there is one common level of training. Cooking, on the

other hand, has no authorization required, so there is no consistent
level
of training. Perhaps we should make working in the kitchen an
authorization
process. ("I'm authorized in dishwasher, cutting vegetables, and
roasting
meat. I'm working on Soups at Cooking Practice")