SC - flamingo datea/recipe

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Thu Nov 30 05:54:48 PST 2000

greetings, the List!

I've received the following mail from someone who presumably read my
medieval cooking web page.  I'd be grateful for anyone's thoughts on
these questions, particularly on whether medieval flour was bleached
(I'd guess not) and the fat/protein/carbohydrate breakdown - I don't
have any of my books at work, although it strikes me as the kind of
thing C Anne Wilson might deal with?

I'll collate any answers which come to the list and forward them to
Dr. Oelerich.

many thanks,
Jehanne

- ------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
I am a college physiology instructor and wonder if you would be so
kind as to help me. I plan to discuss nutrition with my students-
such as weight loss, the (crappy) american diet and sugars/junk food,
etc. Can you tell me if medieval cooking/diets used white flour,
white sugar, etc? I would assume the answer is no. Do you know if the
"fried" foods to make e.g. fried chicken, etc., or was the food
basically broiled or baked simple? Any thoughts as to what
percentages their diet consisted of (%fat:%protein:%carbs)? Did they
use whole grains or bleached flour, etc?

Any help appreciated! THank you!
Randall Oelerich

Lady Jehanne de Huguenin  *  Seneschal, Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town
(Jessica Tiffin, University of Cape Town)
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.
http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant/stidings.htm