SC - must

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Thu Nov 2 15:28:13 PST 2000

> I have been working up a menu for a feast using Milham's platina and some
> of the recipes have something called must
[snip]
> 	Angeline

According to the Food Dictionary at epicurious.com is is:
"The freshly pressed juice of grapes or other fruit before fermentation occurs.
Must can include pulp, skins and seeds."

I just made a batch of the second French Mustard recipe out of Nola, which
calls for boiled must -- red grapes cooked down to 1/2 volume, then strained.
It's very sweet.

I have read on this list that bottled grape juice is *not* an acceptable
substitute for must, because it's made from Concord grapes, which are New
World, and have a distincly different taste.

Brighid

This message was sent through IDT.
http://www.idt.net/