SC - non-member submission - re - must

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Nov 6 08:39:47 PST 2000

<<<<<Actually, as yeast was not --specifically-- an ingredient in
medieval brewing and baking, the beer or wine was prepared, and
then set out uncovered so that it would collect the correct
yeast beasties.  I have heard "must" referred to as the foam on
top of fermenting beverages, therefore, containing yeast.  Good
stuff to have if you are making bread.
(could be wrong, have been before, will be again.  Crazy world)

In an effort to define terms in this discussion so we all go in the same
direction (I've learned the
value of that in previous threads) I offer this. . . . . . . . . . . . .
.

Per the New Complete Joy of HomeBrewing (Papazian) and Historical
Companion to House Brewing
(don't remember author), the modern brewing terms are commonly used
thus:

Yeast:  micro-organism responsible for fermentation of beer and wine
(and mead); it
can be introduced intentionally or accidentally to dissolved sugars.

Barm:  The flocculated (read fallen to the bottom) yeast and sediment
that accumulates
on the bottom of the fermenter as leavings from beer fermentation.  It
contains proteins, dead
yeast cells, dormant yeast cells and any heavy materials/compounds that
fall to the bottom
 of the beer.  Can be used to ferment other beers.

Kreusen:  The active yeast foam that forms on the top of fermenting beer
and wine.  It is rich
with active yeast cells.  Also included could be hops particles,
floating particulate matter from
the wort or must.  Often skimmed and used to innoculate subsequent worts
for fermentation in
commercial brewing.

Must:  the pressed fruit juice (generally grape) used to produce wines;
the term is also used
in professional industry to refer to that same liquid all the way up to
the final stages of fermentation
(per discussions at Pennsic this year with Hauviette);  also a term used
in mead-making for honey
dissolved in water for the purpose of fermenting it with yeast.

Wort:  the prepared malt liquor prior to introduction of yeast.
Generally contains sugars
from mashed malted grains and adjunct sugars and sometimes flavorings
such as hops.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco