SC - [Fwd: Postings]

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Nov 11 20:28:02 PST 2000

Ras declared:
> Perhaps it would even be better if you told the person EXACTLY how to fix it
> through their server if it is a problem since most modern updated e-mail
> programs don't seem to be bothered by receiving it and those with the updated
> programs may have no recourse unless the specific fix is included. Most posts
> I have seen on the subject are so general in information content as to be
> totally useless other than as a whine.

However Ras, even though many mail programs seem to handle the HTML stuff
okay these days, the program that produces the digest version of this
list does a very poor job of handling HTML code, inserted a multitude
of generally useless headers and so many editing commands that it can
make the message hard to read as well as being that much more stuff to
scan through. In the case of enclosures, you get a half-page to more
than a page of solid, useless gibberish.

I'm not sure you can fix this through the server. I think in most
cases it needs to be done in the application program usually Netscape
or Internet Explorer. There is generally a switch you can set to
send messages in either straight text or HTML code. Without knowing
which program the user is using and the particular version it can
be deficult to give exact instructions. While I can probably help
someone with this if they run Netscape, I probably won't be much
help for someone running the other stuff.

I saw the original message on this as a simple request or reminder not as
a whine. I too, find the inclusion of HTML code to be an irritant and
would prefer not to have it obscure what people are saying, but if
people choose not to change their settings I will just deal with it.
I am happy to see that you changed your settings to not send HTML
code.
- --
THL  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net