SC - Trenchers Oh my!

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Nov 13 20:41:08 PST 2000

- --part1_b3.324a227.27421c64_boundary

In a message dated 11/13/00 3:26:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ekoogler at chesapeake.net writes:

> "...these things were slightly domed in
> shape, whereas using it as you describe would require that they be flat on
> top...right???  So what would have produced that kind of shape?
>
> Kiri

Most period trencher descriptions state that the bread is to have the crust
removed. All the period illustrations that I am aware of show bread trenchers
as being a hand or so in size, rectangular and laid down 2 side by side on
the bottom and one across the seam on top. I have used trenchers a number of
times in the past and if you use the correct method of taking a piece of
whatever and dipping it into the sauce which is ideally served  for two in a
separate dish instead of pouring the sauce over  your food on the trencher it
works well. i have had no problems using them.dip  The thought has never
occurred to me to eat my trenchers though so i have no idea whether they were
, in fact, edible or not. ;-)

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol

- --part1_b3.324a227.27421c64_boundary