SC - Trenchers Oh my!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Nov 13 21:26:06 PST 2000

Gunthar replied to my message with:
> > Maybe a short training session for all
> > your servers, who could then demonstrate how to cut and use the
> > trencher to their tables. Or if you are sending the trenchers out
> > already sliced, simply having the servers explain the use of the
> > trencher and that they don't taste particularly good.
> >
> > If you have more than one trencher for each person, sending folks
> > around to collect the used trenchers between courses might be useful
> > and a period element.
>
> I think sending out pre-sliced trenchers would be best. Serving is
> usually rather hectic at even the best events.

Yes, you are probably right. The original poster commented that the
feasters would probably try to eat the trenchers instead of using them
properly. I guess I let my idea of educating the populace rather than
simply giving into ignorance get a little too bold. However, I think
it should be possible to provide one or two servers/pantiers(?) for
the headtable trained to slice the trenchers properly. I think this
could go far to build a medieval atmosphere and make those at the
headtable feel special without a large extra expense or fancy food
item that the populace can't enjoy.

I would still serve the rest of the hall with pre-cut trenchers and
not expect to teach them how to cut theirs from watching the headtable
pantiers. It is almost impossible to see what is going on at the
headtable from the rest of hall generally, much less see detailed
work like cutting a trencher.
- --
THL  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net