SC - Trenchers Oh my!y

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Tue Nov 14 15:25:59 PST 2000

> When you check Lehner's citations, please let me know if they list any
> papers on the bakery excavation or experiment.  While the National
> Geographic article provided a lot of details, the papers for the
> professional journals tend to be more thorough and may provide professional
> insights considered to boring for popular reporting.

*growl* I hate Anthropologists. They don't publish until they are damned
good and ready, and they don't have their own index. (Yes, there's the
Anthropological Index, but it's next to useless.)
Citation searching turned up

Mark Lehner, _Complete Pyramids_ (NY: Thames & Hudson, 1997) favorably
reviewed, even in the _Journal of Archaeological Science_ though someone
with what appears to be archaeological credentials throws a fit over it on
Amazon [a fit worthy of an Elizabeth Peters novel, in fact]

"Builders of the pyramids: excavations at Giza yield the settlements and
workshops of three generations of laborers." (includes related article on
ancient bakery) Zahi Hawass, Mark Lehner. _Archaeology_ Jan-Feb 1997 v50
n1 p30(9)

"The Sphinx: who built it, and why?" (Special Section: The Great Sphinx of
Giza) (Cover Story) Zahi Hawass, Mark Lehner.  _Archaeology_ Sept-Oct 1994
v47 n5 p30(12)

"Computer rebuilds the ancient Sphinx." (computer modeling techniques aid
restoration of the Great Sphinx) Mark Lehner.  National Geographic April
1991 v179 n4 p32(8)

However, I finally got fed up and looked for Excavations and Giza in
worldcat, and found that the Excavations have a page on the web:
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/%7Eaera/Giza_Pages/Excavation_Pages/site98.html

They also say that there will be a CD-ROM called Virtual Giza coming out
in the future-- what an interesting way to use excavation reports

And-- Jackpot! The End of Season full report for 1997 is online at:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/pyramid/excavation/fullreport.html

Plus:

"  Excavations at Giza 1988-1991: The Location and Importance of the
Pyramid Settlement."
http://www-oi.uchicago.edu/OI/PROJ/GIZ/NN%5FFall92/NN%5FFall92.html
Features the full text of an article entitled "Excavations at Giza
1988-1991: The Location and Importance of the Pyramid Settlement" by Mark
Lehrer of the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago. Explains
that the article originally appeared in the "Oriental Institute News and
Notes," No. 135, Fall 1992.
That one has the images!!!!!!!

There's a book but it may be useful or not:

_Giza :  the truth ; the people, politics and history behind the world's
most famous archaeological site_ Lawton, Ian. ; Ogilvie-Herald, Chris.
(London: Virgin, 200) rev. ed.

 -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise
jenne at tulgey.browser.net disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks
for me. "I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's
managerial hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker