SC - bourreys

TG gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Sun Nov 19 14:21:32 PST 2000

If I may insist: there is another possible interpretation for "neres"
instead of 'ears' (whatever the glossary of Austin says):

- -- 'neers, kidneys' ("nere, variant of neer, kidney." OED)

In my eyes, there are two aspects that favor the kidney-interpretation:

- -- The usage of "nere" in the sense 'ear' is attested only once in the
year 1483, while the usage in the sense 'neer, kidney' is attested
frequently in the respective articles of the OED.

- -- The textual "neighborhood" of _neres_ with all sorts of inner parts:
"Take pipes, hertes, neres, myltes, and of (th)e rybbes of the Swyne,
...".

Would some kind soul of the 'ear'-party [ ;-) ] please explain to me
what are the reasons to keep the 'ear'-interpretation?

Thanks, Thomas
(I know, that Austin wrote in his glossary "A. reads here 'eris'". What
is "A.". The variant is not given among the Ashmole Ms. variants on p.
xviii.)