SC - Passage East III - Part 1

KallipygosRed at aol.com KallipygosRed at aol.com
Thu Nov 23 13:18:44 PST 2000

- --part1_78.d0ea51a.274ee3b4_boundary

In a message dated 11/23/00 1:45:37 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

> I'm not sure where the
> legal line is drawn between restuarant and bar.

In Arizona, which generally goes by the routine fed regs, the line is drawn
by what percentage of the gross profits are made off alcohol or off food. If
the higher percentage is made off food, it is classed a restaurant.
Consequently, quite a few bar-with-sandwiches establishments have stopped
serving food altogether, including some comedy clubs; so as not to drive off
their drinking and smoking clientele. The only loophole discovered by this
law was that if you were a **private** club with paid membership, you could
still have food, smokes and alcohol in the same area. That has lead to many
coffee/food shops requiring a patron to **join** the club by paying a dollar
a year to be a member. That way they get to serve food, coffee, and alcohol
and not be harrassed.

I'm not sure what the restrictions are like elsewhere, but I did live in PA
for a while and remember they had some severe codes in my little Scranton
village offshoot locale.

Lars

- --part1_78.d0ea51a.274ee3b4_boundary