SC - "Little Pickled Things"?

Jenn/Yana jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Thu Nov 9 17:35:13 PST 2000

>This is drving me crazy (ier) and I'm hoping someone can identify the
>source from which i picked it up: the phrase
>'little pickled things'
>which is either the translation of a term in some Eastern European
>language or a reference to a period food course-- I _think_ it's part of a
>list of what we would call snack foods?

Well, the phrase "little pickled things" in Russian would be <malenkie
solen'ia> (and in other Slavic languages it would sound similar), and I
kinda doubt it is what you are looking for.  The Russian word for "pickles"
(any pickled vegetable) is <solen'ia>.  Perhaps the term in question is
<zakuski> (singular <zakuska>), which roughly translates to "little bites"
(of food) or "snacks".  However, zakuski aren't SCA period (but they are
"snacks").

- --Yana, at her happy task of confusing matters further