SC - milk for fighters?

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Oct 3 21:45:00 PDT 2000

Bonne of Traquair wrote:
>Bakon yeast    <----- What is it?
>
>Since it is capitalized, I guess it is a trademarked product. She
>was writing in the UCLA area in the early 70's, is anyone else on
>here familiar with the name? It's added like a spice and simmered
>with the other ingredients. Definately not used as leavening. Maybe
>just Brewer's yeast?

I remember it - it's a smokey flavored brewer's or torula yeast
powder. I never used it, but it came in a can, i think, with a red
label and was sold in health food stores. I haven't seen it recently,
but then i haven't looked for it. It was included to increase
nutritional value and to add flavor.

A swing through http://www.google.com turned up the following:

http://www.kof-k.com says it is made by:
Bakon Yeast, Inc.
P.O. Box 1127
Rhinelander  WI  54501

http://www.nutribase.com (dated 1999) has:
Bakon Yeast, Inc.
P.O. Box 651
Rhinelander  WI  54501
BUS: 715-362-6533
FAX: 715-362-6533

http://agrinet.tamu.edu/agbus - Ag Businesses Wisconsin has the same
as nutribase

http://www.koshermall.com has
Bakon Yeast, Inc.
PO Box 1127
Barrington, IL 60011
Bus: 708-381-5912
Fax: 708-381-5912

http://agrinet.tamu.edu/agbus/ - Ag Businesses Illinois has the same
as koshermall

I suppose if you contact either the WI or the IL address, they can
tell you who carries it retail.

Anahita al-shazhiyya