SC - An impossible mission!

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Tue Oct 3 23:14:29 PDT 2000

I recommend Whole Pear Pies that can be found in Medieval Kitchen, IIRC.  It is paers baked in pastry crust with butter and granulated sugar.  they are to DIE for.  The bottom crust is candied and glorious.  You do four or so in a crust.  We did three in a crust in bread loaf pans for support.

Mustard is grand for the sausages.  I do see it later in feast though.

Frumenty with wheat is a nice change of pace, and appropriate for hard winter wheat.  Use a recipe with saffron in it :o)

niccolo difrancesco

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> I'm now planning the feast for The Boar's Hunt on December 9th, which will be my first as chief cook.

_First Course_
Sausages or Chicken (i haven't decided, although sausages are easier
as we will buy ready-made) - is there a good sauce for sausage?
*******
Grain dish, "cheap and filling"  - Last year's barley pottage was
horrible and nobody ate it. I'm thinking Frumenty with cracked wheat.
Any other suggestions?
*****
_Dessert_
Cooked Fruit - i'm thinking quinces, maybe, if they aren't too
expensive, or maybe something of dried fruit, or pears in red wine -
any suggestions?

The food is served on platters brought to each table of eight diners,
who then serves themselves.

I'm also thinking of having a table with a big pot of mulled cider,
bread, cheese, and compost (which i'll make ahead of time) throughout
the feast for "self-service". Between courses there will be
entertainments, such as singing, story-telling, and our own
principality magician.

- ---------------------

I have menus from the last 7 Boar Hunts, from 1993 through 1999.

A tabulation of previous feasts shows:

Roast Pork at all 7
Funges at all 7
Salat at all 7
Turnips: armored at 5, in mustard sauce at 2
Green Vegetable: mustard greens at 1, Buttered Worts at 6
Cabbage: soup at 1, "salat of caboges" at 6
Apples: roast at 1, gingered at 6
Savory tart at 7: cheese tarts at 1, Custard Lumbarde at 6, Tarte de Brie at 1

Roots at 4: form not specified at 2, Potage of Roots at 1, Baked
carrots and parsnips at 1
Roast Beef at 4

First course: meat pies at 1, sowpys dorry at 2, Jowetes of Almand
Mylke at 1, Sausages at 1
Second Course: brawn royal at 1, Bird Pie at 1, Chike in Canel and
Orange Sauce at 2, whole roast chicken with green sauce at 1

Stewed Pears at 2 (in 93, 99)
Barley in Potage at 2 (in 97, in 99 almost all of this came back to
the kitchen as it was a pretty awful tasteless gluey mess)

_Dessert Course_
Boar's Head Subtletie at all 7 (what the base is may vary -
gingerbread or decent fruit cake)
plus
Gingerbread in 93 and 99
Lenten Pancakes in 93