Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed Oct 4 06:16:10 PDT 2000

Dried peas are just that, peas taken and allowed to dry out.  Most legumes
(and I believe a number of the species of Vigna and Vicia) can be dried for
extended storage.

Split peas have the membrane which surrounds the individual pea removed.
I'm not clear how the process is done, but it allows split peas to cook
faster than dried peas.  IIRC, split peas show up in the late 17th or early
18th Century, but you might want to check me on that.

Bear